ANALYSIS Research Questions
1. How long did this increase in engagement of the movement following George Floyd’s murder last?
2. What trending topics arose during the time period immediately following George Floyd’s death?
3. What sentiments were observed during this period online (positive versus negative)
4. How have or haven’t public perceptions of the Black Lives Matter Movement shifted over this period?
5. How have or haven’t public perceptions of law enforcement (police officers) shifted over this period?
6. Did the Tweets (online activism) we analyze reflect “slacktivist”, performative, and/or unactionable behaviors? Did the Tweets (online activism) reflect or translate into action?
Learn about BLM 2020 protests' life-cycle through the public's online footprint. The data collected is visualized across time and geography.
Visualizations around specific topics: Donate, Protest, & Police
Visualizations include geographic distributions, sentiment analyses, and word clouds.
Data analysis of collected Twitter data using Natural Language Processing (sentiment analysis), with complimentary analysis of trending Twitter hashtags during this period.
View our discussion piece digging even deeper into our data. Public sentiments are explored in three parts: the protest life-cycle, positive versus negative sentiments, and actionable versus unactionable hashtags.